Yeast nutrient amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonlovesbeer

BrandonLovesBeer
Reaction score
I brewed a 5gal pale ale yesterday.
I used Fermex yeast nutrient.
The package says 1tsp per gal.
So basically 5tsp for this batch

I think that may have been too much, after some post brew day research.

How much SHOULD I have used?

Will the amount that I used be completely detrimental? Or is this more of a (I just wasted the excess but with no ill effects)?

I have read several articles suggesting that beer benefits from some zinc but doesn't really need other nutrients but also too much zinc is a bad thing.
I don't know about the nutrient you used but beer specific nutrients are ok in their correct stated dose. I have brewed with and without. For higher ABV beers I put some yeast nutrient in as I don't have a good oxygenation system so best to give the yeast all the help it needs.

I looked up online what is all in Fermax yeast nutrient.

- Diammonium phosphate,
- Dipotassium phosphate
- Magnesium sulfate
- Autolyzed yeast.

I would use zero. It doesn't do anything.

But it won't hurt anything. Some people call it cheap insurance. I call it unnecessary.

I used to not use yeast nutrient. But a few years ago I was trouble shooting some problems and this was what alleviated that problem.
I’ll continue to use it even if it’s just a placebo.
That said. I used to use a different brand.
I knew the amounts with the old one.
But I assumed the instructions on the Fermax bag were accurate.

Guess not.

All malt beer shouldn't need any nutrient.

But nutrient might be beneficial if you are using a yeast that has a reputation for stalling out, or if you plan to rinse and reuse the yeast, or if you are making a high gravity wort.

I looked up online what is all in Fermax yeast nutrient.

- Diammonium phosphate,
- Dipotassium phosphate
- Magnesium sulfate
- Autolyzed yeast.

The first two are pretty much nitrogen-rich compounds that are common in most malted grains or inorganic fertilizers. Grains with good protein content will yield the same thing, FAN or "free amino nitrogen".
The third item is known as Epsom salt. It contributes sulfates but the CaSO4/CaCl2 combo in the right ratio is much preferable.
Autolyzed (dead) yeast - otherwise known in the commercial market as Servomyces. It's a needless ingredient if you've got a nice, healthy yeast starter going from a vial, Smackpak, or packet.

There are two different types of Fermaid ... K and O. I've used DAP and Fermaid K for mead musts, but not Fermaid O.

Last edited:
Back