Yeast Nutient Intervention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Singletrack

Because it's judgement that defeats us.
Reaction score
I use yeast nutrient, even though I don't think it does anything. I started with Servomyces; just throw in a pill. An expensive pill. Switched to Wyeast, and now have to dissolve in warm water first. Doesn't malted barley have all the nutrients needed? Why do we use it? Is it just placebo effect? Can anyone help me stop?

Edit: I'm sew embarassed that I mispelled Nutient in the tital, but I gues it can't be editted.

What is your water source?
I think the YN is beneficial when using R/O or Distilled water where all or most of the minerals have been stripped out.
Also, if you brew worts that get sugars from high percentages of adjuncts YN can help pick up the difference.
I think the manufacturers of YN have given some thought to what wort does not provide that will benefit yeast in their journey through life.
While it is an added step, it's cost seems insignificant and gives me some peace of mind when sending my yeast off on a big project like making a starter or fermenting a batch of beer.

What is your water source?
I think the YN is beneficial when using R/O or Distilled water where all or most of the minerals have been stripped out.

Thank you for your reply. I blend RO with City water, and never use less than 20% City water for just that reason.

I'm not using a lot of corn or rice or other junk, so adjuncts are not an issue.

So "everyone" agrees that I should just keep using it? (It doesn't seem like you're very good at this intervention stuff.) :)

I've never used yeast nutrient, but I rarely do higher OG beers (almost nothing over 1.080) and I just go with aeration and proper yeast amounts at pitching and that's been great for me.

But I guess I have to ask the dumb question- why are you using it if you don't know why, and don't think it does anything for your fermentation?

I use a yeast nutrient for meads (since honey is lacking nutrients) and many wines that are higher OG or that have a lot of acidity, but I can't see why I would have needed it for my routine beers.

And yes- malt has plenty of magnesium and calcium and things needed for fermentation, even with RO water.

Calcium does help with yeast flocculation, helping to make clear beers, but I don't think you're talking about supplementing with calcium for that.

Yes, that's better.

I use it because some claim it helps and, well, see post #2. I'm willing to try without, though.

Don't do it man. Just take it one brew at a time.

I recently succumbed to temptation and bought my first vial of YN. It lured me in with its bright colors and laudable benefits. I said it was for my yeast but truly it was to assuage my inner geek. Surely one more way to encourage my yeast to do its thing can't be wrong?

I've used it on two batches thus far.

I think it might be of greater use (in pinch amounts) to add to starter when using harvested yeast from some time back. (3+months old). I have nothing to back up this blatant supposition however.

DSC02167.jpg

One claim is that all malt wort does not provide Zinc which is important for cell reproduction. Something YN claims to add.

I have a jar of some other brand - I do occasionally throw a little in, and I think it is purely for placebo effect.

I do use it when I make cider.

Since most of the beers I brew don't benefit from byproducts produced by yeast that are in a stressed state, I try to make life as easy as possible for them.
Any edge I can give my yeast is worth the effort.
Those efforts include a proper pitch of healthy yeast into a nutrient rich well oxygenated wort at appropriate fermentation temperatures.
The information I gathered that brought me to these conclusions include manufacturers websites, written publications by respected yeast producers and many experienced Brewers and scientific types alike.

Latest posts

Back