Yeast Life after first batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachY2072

Reaction score
Hello again HBT,
I was planning on re-pitching on top of this yeast I brewed a stout with (WYEAST American Ale) and have run out of funds for hops/grains. If I sterilize and refrigerate, how long can I wait by saving the yeast and pitch it again?
Thanks!
-Zach

If you washed the yeast and made a starter for the next brew you can keep it for many months. If you plan on just pitching on the saved yeast I would limit it to 2-3 weeks.

kh54s10 said:
If you washed the yeast and made a starter for the next brew you can keep it for many months. If you plan on just pitching on the saved yeast I would limit it to 2-3 weeks.

How do I wash the yeast? It will last in a STERILE container for 2-3 weeks?! Neat?!
How many times can you pitch it?

How do I wash the yeast? It will last in a STERILE container for 2-3 weeks?! Neat?!

I wrote an article on "easy yeast washing" in the articles forum in the red strip at the top of the forums page. I clean & sanitize the jars I'm going to store the yeast in. PBW for cleaning them,Starsan for sanitizing right before filling. It'll last for months washed in a sanitized jar in the fridge. Just warm to room temp & make a starter.

I'll rinse yeast for longer-term storage, but if it's just a week or two and you don't have a bunch of hop trub in the yeast cake, I'd just harvest into a sanitized jar, store it in the fridge, pull it out a couple hours before brewing and pitch once your wort is chilled.

BTW, you don't need the whole cake for an ale. About half of it will give you plenty of cells a week later.

Back