Yeast Harvesting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampska

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I racked a brew to secondary last night and saved the yeast/trub to harvest the yeast. I read that you should put it in the fridge for a little bit to separate and you should get two layers and save the top, but I don't seem to be getting that.
Not much happened after about an hour in the fridge:

IMG_20100902_233521.jpg

And then overnight:

IMG_20100903_080056.jpg

Now this is the first batch I've ever done with Whirlfloc instead of Irish Moss so I may have used it wrong or perhaps it doesn't work as well as Irish Moss, so maybe there's just not a lot of sediment to filter off.

Is this normal?

It depends on the beer and your brewing procedures, that looks like a pretty clean beer and looks like mostly yeast, Is that the entire trub or did you already pour some off? I think if you look hard you may find a first layer that is just a little darker than the second, it's hard to tell from the pictures.

Take a look at the sticky thread on harvesting and washing yeast - no refrigerating or waiting overnight - I follow that method and it works great!

Back