Yeast Harvesting. Did I do this right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokieguy95

Reaction score
New Hombrewer here. So on my second homebrewing attempt in which I made a Belgian Dubbel, I got a little bit adventuresome and decided I wanted to collect the yeast. As everybody knows that little vial of WL530 is plumb expensive. I am planning on making a Belgian Strong Dark in about two weeks. The two questions I have is....

1. Did I do this correctly? I decanted it and removed the old trub. I plan to decant most of the old beer off before I pitch it.

2. Can you tell from the pic if this is enough yeast to do a Strong Dark Belgian? I believe it is much more than one vial. It's about a quart jar.

2013-09-29_07-26-04_944_zpsfb81cffe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've had it in my fridge for about two weeks now. From what I read I think I will be good if I use it in the next month or so. Just sit it out at room temp and then pitch it in.

Looks good to me, most of us would decant off the old beer and replace it with previously boiled and cooled water but this would be perfectly fine for a month or so of storage.

I just dump the trub in a jar and pop it in the fridge. It works like a charm. Some people will say that you need to "wash" it but everytime I've tried that it didn't work when I pitched it. I guess I must have done something wrong.

UR DOIN IT RITE. :D

Before pitching let it warm to pitching temperature, then decant most of the wort, leaving 1/4 - 1/2" above the yeast. Swirl the jar to mix it all up, then pitch away.

:mug:

Bob

What is the OG for your recipe?,Looks like you may need a starter.I would go to Mr.Malty and yeastcalc.com to make sure you have an appropriate cell count.

That's true. You *should* hit the calculators and see how much you should pitch. I think you'll have enough without going through a starter, but you never know.

Bob

Back