Yeast harvest attempt from Arrogant Bastard a success? Photos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Its day two since my attempt to harvest yeast from a bottle of Arrogant Bastard. I've taken closeups of various sections of two Petri dishes that I made and inoculated with the bottom portion of AB.

I'm trying to harvest the yeast since I'm going to attempt a clone using White Labs 007 but I figured, since I have AB on hand, why not try to make a go at this for experience and future yeast washing.

As you can see, morphology is quite different in different sections of the plates. It is possible that we have different organisms other than yeast, but without some dyes, I can not create a slide to verify. Those of you familiar with yeast and culturing, does this look anything like you're used to after day 2?

I appreciate your identification skills!

2014-09-26 AB Yeast day 2.jpg

The colonies on the right look wrong, too shiny and mucoid, could be bacteria. I've see older Brett colonies look like the single colony on the left but not at 2 days, however it is certainly not Sacc.

Arg! I was worried about the far right ones. My brew buddy was pretty much talking into the dish while trying his hand at streaking, I pretty much said "shut your mouth!" And had to explain.

I have some microbiology experience from college and the desire to get into this for beer sake is burning. Microscope and stains soon on the way...

you could try just pouring fresh wort into the bottle right after draining most of it and let the yeast do their thing, avoid the mouths altogether.

I thought AB was just Safale-04. Why go through the trouble?

Because there are so many opinions as to what the yeast strain might be, growing yeast from the actual AB brew is a sure way to getting the exact yeast.

Back