Yeast from a bottle conditioned beer a bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott06903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So recently I started building up a yeast bank. My procedure is as follows:

Open smack pack pitch to starter
Collect yeast sample from bottom corner of smack pack with sterile inoculation loop
Streak onto petri dishes (I do this 2x so I have 2 separately streaked samples)
Collect another 2 samples and deposit onto slants.
Store at room temp a few days until growth is evident
Move into bottom of fridge inside a plastic box with several cold packs. In my mind the mass of these reduce any temp swings the frige may experience.

I thought it was a good idea to buy some SNPA and collect some yeast as above.
Then I got to thinking. Commercial breweries tend to collect the middle part of their yeast accumulation from conicals, tossing the yeast that flocculate early along with any trub. They keep the middle section, and toss those that flocculate late in the fermentation.

So by collecting from a bottle conditioned beer are we just selecting and then building up a population of very late flocculating yeast? It seems this is not a trait that one would want if you want a reasonably clear beer. However if yeast is added just prior to bottling the above is moot.

Any one have thoughts or hands on experience to share?

Scott

I'd rather have the later floccing yeast than the earlier floccing yeast. :)

But I guess it could depend on the yeast type, really.

Yes, but wouldn't most of the live yeast in a bottle conditioned beer be of a later generation? I would think adding sugar to the realtively clear beer leaving the brite tank would kick-off some yeast reproduction. At least thats how my small brain sees it :)

Back