Yeast for "Old Fashioned" Sarsparilla Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Hi -

I've got one of these:

mdnyBOqyya8Unx9soChgKwQ.jpg

The last time I tried it, I don't know what yeast I used, but it didn't work - I had a great tasting birch beer that had absolutely no carbonation, even after 2 months of waiting. Perhaps my temperatures were too low; perhaps the yeast was dead - I do not know.

But I am resolved to try again, and my question is whether or not there is a dry yeast that would be better to use. I have a fresh, un-opened packet of Lalvin 71B-1122 - how would that be?

Second question: the last time I made this, I used the recommended amount of yeast, which seemed to be a ridiculously small amount for such a large batch (4 gallons). I don't remember the exact amount called for, but it was a fraction of a teaspoon, if I remember correctly. Would adding a little more, such as a half- or whole package of yeast, help or hurt? Whatever the amount used, is there a "better" way of incorporating it into the 4 gallons of "wort?"

Finally, I am sure that much of the problem from last time involved temepratures that were too cool. Would 68-70 degrees be about optimum?

Thanks in advance -

Ron

Adding more yeast is going to make it carb up faster, so keep an eye on them when they are at room temperature. They can turn into bottle bombs QUICK. Once you have your desired level of C02, get them in the fridge and keep them there.

I would probably just use bread yeast if I were you, it's ale yeast. Super easy to find and cheap. Rehydrate it first, then pitch aboutttttttttttttt 2 teaspoons I'd say.

perhaps the yeast was dead - I do not know.

The above statement implies that you didn't properly proof the yeast. e.g., as per directions at http://www.wikihow.com/Activate-Dried-Yeast:

"Let the vessel sit for 1 to 10 minutes. This process is called "proofing" the yeast, and it means you are allowing the yeast to begin metabolizing the sugar and propagate. A minute or 2 is sufficient for most applications, but if you really want to be sure your yeast are alive and well, wait 10 minutes and then check on the yeast. If the water has a little bit of bubbly froth at the top, your yeast are healthy and working."

I suggest that you proof the yeast for an hour in a complete nutrient solution such as provided by molasses or raisin juice and not just sugar.

I suggest that you proof the yeast for an hour in a complete nutrient solution such as provided by molasses or raisin juice and not just sugar.

This sounds like a good idea - thanks, aruzinsky!

This sounds like a good idea - thanks, aruzinsky!

Rehydrate it in plain water for 10-15 minutes. You can do a search on google, or this forum for more information regarding why this is the preferred method, but it comes down to half of your yeast WILL die if you place them directly into a sugar solution.

Back