Yeast for melange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcc75

Reaction score
Hello,
I've got a beer that I used The Yeast Bay melange blend on. I'm thinking it's time to bottle this one and start a new sour brew. I want to use the melange blend again but am sure the yeast (sacc) is probably in no shape to ferment a new beer. My question to the minds of hbt is, what strain of yeast should I go with to keep it kinda similar to the original blend. Or if anyone has any ideas for making it better?

I'm not sure what the Sac strains are in Melange, but I have pitched it with Saison yeast and it turned out great. I would think that microbe populations in there would be different upon repitching, as some may have thrived better then others. As far as making it better, I would just add some dregs to the new beer, you may end up with some more complexities.
How did the first beer turn out?

That's true about the bug population being off. First beer is quite tasty, I expect it will be better carbed and cold. I was kinda thinking about a saison and let it sit until next summer. Dregs are probably a good idea too, I approve of any practice that gives me a reason to drink good beer.

I would go for a saison or Abbaye strain, but Chico, UK, or some other neutral ale strain would work just fine as well

Latest posts

Back