Yeast for lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aracer

Reaction score
Hello I will do a Lager and I’m using a Saf 34/70 yeast. In the package says 11.5g (0.4 ounces) per 10 to 15 l (2.64 gl to 3.96 gl), since I am doing a final 15lt batch, do you think 11.5g dry yeast should be enough or should I go to 23 gr (0.8 ounce) instead?
Thank you

Hello I will do a Lager and I’m using a Saf 34/70 yeast. In the package says 11.5g (0.4 ounces) per 10 to 15 l (2.64 gl to 3.96 gl), since I am doing a final 15lt batch, do you think 11.5g dry yeast should be enough or should I go to 23 gr (0.8 ounce) instead?
Thank you

Use a yeast calculator like MrMalty...http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html 15 liters is approximately 4 gallons, assuming a 1.050 OG.. it suggest 1.4 packs, or 16 grams. The higher the starting gravity, the more you need. Also the older the yeast pack is can also determine how much to use, though for dry yeast, it has to be really old to change the amount needed significantly.

Following the package instructions works fine. One pack for 5 gallons is plenty, I use two packs of 34/70 for 10+ gallons all the time. If pack is slightly older than use by date, maybe use more.

I direct pitch 1 gram per liter based on mfr recommendations:

Adjustments.jpg

Back