Yeast for Festbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering either Wyeast Bavarian or Munich Lager yeasts (2206 or 2308). I'll make a big starter, of course. Anyone care to share their impressions or thoughts about these strains and how they might work in a festbier?

They're both very good. The 2308 is my favorite but the 2206 is probably a bit more user friendly and likely tops the 2308 in any user polls. Be prepared for a diacetyl rest with either one.

In what ways is it more user friendly?

I think you need to pay close attention to the 2308 and sometimes it seems slow. I've seen negative comments on it over the years but it does make a great beer.

I agree with the above comments, although with a big enough pitch and pure 02, I've not had the sluggish fermentation and diacetyl issues that some have experienced. Watch out for sulfur with both of these yeasts tho. I'd say I prefer 2308 over 2206, although my go-to lager yeasts for pretty much everything these days are the Augustiner and Gambrinus strains.

My best Marzen came from using WY2633, but my LHBS does not regularly stock it. I've used WY2206, WY2308 and WY2124 to make both Marzen and festbier in the past 4 years and seem to always default to WY2206. My split batch last year was between WY2206 and WY2124 and the WY2206 was a bit more malty and fuller bodied.

I used WLP820 (Wyeast 2206) last fall in an Oktoberfest. Worked great for me. I used a 3.5 liter starter, lots of aeration, and fermented at 52F.

This year I tried WLP838 (Wyeast 2308) in my festbier. Same drill with the starter size, but pitched into a 48F wort and let it rise to 50F. Just pitched last Sunday, so it'll be a while before I know the results.

Back