Yeast for esb and porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockharrier

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a ESB and then repitching the yeast for an english-style porter. What would be a great liquid yeast for this?

I've had good luck with 1098 British ale. Have used it in both esb and porter, it really came through good in the English porter

My vote is for 1318, so long as you mash low and have an "I heart Esters" bumper sticker, t-shirt or tattoo. It has the added benefit of working well at room temp. 006 is available now as a seasonal strain, and you can read about both 006 and 1318 here: http://perfectpint.blogspot.com/2012/03/graphically-evaluating-yeast-character.html

1469 has a large cult following. I've only used it in one beer myself, so not much to add. But like I said, there are a lot of people who absolutely love it and get a little testy if you don't.

1318 and 1469 are both great yeasts for bitters - they are my go-to yeasts in that department. I have not used them in a porter though, so, can't really add much in that area.
When I use 1469 I try to keep fermentation temps in the mid 60's.... I find that if you get 70+ you can really get some strong flavors that can be a bit much.
If I was going to pick one of those two, I think I would lean toward 1318 over 1469.... but, maybe others have more experience using 1469 in porters.

I've had great results with both 1098(British Ale) and 1968(London ESB). I've used 1098 for both a bitter and a porter and 1968 for a bitter.

Back