Yeast for dry stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
Before people recommend WLP004 let me preface with I would prefer to use a yeast I already have on hand.

Out of these two strains, which would you choose: WLP001 California Ale or WLP028 Edinburgh Ale?

White Labs rates both as a 2 out of 4 for the style. I'm leaning towards the WLP028 because I think it will contribute some desirable esters. On the other hand I made a great dry stout with US-05 before but I used twice as much roasted barley as I plan on using this time around.

My recipe is quite simple. 73% Pale Ale malt, 18% flaked barley, 9% roasted barley, and 38 IBUs of US Golding all as a bittering addition. I will also be souring 3% of my wort to blend back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you want dry, then don't use the Edinburgh. It's meant to be used in sweet Scottish ales and is very, very clean, so you won't get much in the way of esters. I'd go with the 001.

I agree on the 028, you will only get malt and hops. It also does not attenuate too well and is temp sensitive. On my last Scotch ale it only went from 1092 to 1032 and left it too sweet.

I'd go with the 028. while it can be clean, its still not as clean as 001. i regularly get 77-79% attenuation with it, so it can get plenty dry. plus 001 is basically the same as S-05 so you already know what thats like

I have to admit, esters was poor word choice; not sure why I said it. Once I read the first response I realized I was off on the wrong foot.

Anyways, less clean is a much better way to describe the 028 compared to the 001. I've used 028 in a Wee Heavy and an ESB. I hit 70% and 71% attenuation respectively.

My estimated OG will be 1.044. If I get 70% like before I'm looking at an FG of 1.013.

Thanks for the responses. I'm still leaning towards the WLP028 unless I hear something really negative about using it in a stout. I just like the idea of using a yeast from the UK for this style.

I bet the 028 will produce a fine stout.

And I see you're in my town where we can get Bell's beer. For what it's worth, the best stout I ever made was fermented with bottle-harvested Bell's house yeast. Just something to keep in the hopper for future brews. Cheers!

Hmm, I like the Bell's idea. Maybe I'll go to Discount Liquor and pick up a sixer of Two Hearted.

Back