yeast for dandelion wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
I suddenly realized I have no yeast for my dandelion wine I'm preparing for. What yeasts are good for dandelion wine. Multiple suggestions would be nice as my co-worker who lives in the town of the LBS will probably be buying it for me (just in case the "best" yeast is not in stock).
scott

Yeah, always a safe bet, you really can't go wrong with montrachet if you're making any kind of wine.
They will almost definitely have this in stock too :)

I'm not really an expert, but I would go with the champagne yeast or like a EC-1118 or something like that. My reason is the time I made it before, I had a difficult time getting it to ferment all the way out like I was wanting it to. I ended up having to add some EC 1118 anyway.
Got my flowers in the freezer and will start this year's batch as soon as I can find the time!!!
It's definitely worth it!!!!

Most of the wine yeast strains are great for dandelion wine! I've used Lalvin's norbonne (forget the number), EC-1118 (champagne yeast) and Red Stars Cotes de Blanc, champagne, premier cuvee (which is a champange yeast), montrachet, etc. I think that might be all but I may have used a few more.

The dandelion wine is fruity and white, so really any wine yeast strain will work pretty well.

I suddenly realized I have no yeast for my dandelion wine I'm preparing for. What yeasts are good for dandelion wine. Multiple suggestions would be nice as my co-worker who lives in the town of the LBS will probably be buying it for me (just in case the "best" yeast is not in stock).
scott

By the way, what recipe will you be using? That's sort of important, too, in deciding yeast strain. Some strains will only go to about 12-13%, while champagne yeast strains can easily push 18% or more.

I'm using the one you have posted, Yooper.
I'll probably use Montrachet. How the heck to you pronounce that anyway???

Back