Yeast Farming or Harvest from Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaspence

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some suggestions/thoughts on best route to take... I am acquiring equipment to start harvesting yeast and also grow starters. I would like to store yeast in sterilized de-oxygenated water to keep for 6-9 months in my fridge. First off, will that be possible using sterile water? My next question is what is best path to multiply a new vial of white labs or smack pack? Should I just order some additional storage vials and divide the primary yeasties for creating starters later OR create a starter with the primary vial/smack pack and then divide into storage vials with larger quantities?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

There has been a fair amount of debate about storing yeast under water vs beer. Water reduces the amount of food any bacteria would have to munch on. Beer has a lower pH and some alcohol that can ward off bacteria growth. In the homebrew setting, either will work as long as you have good sanitation. Some have even taken to decanting some of the beer and replacing with water to get the best of both worlds.

As for harvesting from the primary vs. starter, I've done both. Harvesting from the primary gives you a lot more yeast to work with and you don't have to use any DME to get it. However, yeast from a starter is cleaner and less stressed. Again either will work; play with it and find out what works best for you.

I use to wash from my primary. the down side is there's only so many time you can harvest the same strain. now that i have a stir plate i just propagate what i need and store it in boiled cooled water in mason jars. now i always have non stressed yeast

Thanks guys, think I am going to split the white labs vial into about 3 soda performs and store under sterile water in my fridge as a first attempt. Then just make 4 starters when needed. Seems like the best way to stretch out the original unstressed yeasties :) So basically getting 4 batches out of one vial as opposed to the single batch I have been getting. Maybe even get some first generation washes going ... I can see this quickly becoming my second favorite hobby :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back