Yeast Culturing: Video Tutorial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Video tutorial for making yeast medium, preparing petri dishes and slants, and harvesting yeast from a bottle under sterile work conditions.

And now, how to propagate yeast from a slant and make starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. Couple questions: At what temperature are you incubating both the petri dishes and the slants? And why did you harvest four or five colonies into the small beaker with water but then you only took one loop sample for the slant? can you repeat that process from the same small beaker into multiple slants until the yeast/water mixture is gone?

I watched this, great information but as he said need to have a bunsen burner or half the stuff that guy has. Pressure cooker, Propane torch, nichrome wire loop, some baby food jars, agar and DME and your in business.

Clem

what is agar?
and I bet if the cops ever broke into your house, they would think you're running a meth lab!
I like the videos, well done

Very cool. Couple questions: At what temperature are you incubating both the petri dishes and the slants? And why did you harvest four or five colonies into the small beaker with water but then you only took one loop sample for the slant? can you repeat that process from the same small beaker into multiple slants until the yeast/water mixture is gone?

Incubation temp is not critical...below 90F and above the lowest recommended temp for the yeast. I'm confused about what you mean with the slant though...I took several colonies off the plate into the small beaker with water, and mixed them together very well. Then, I used the resulting liquid, composed of all those colonies, to inoculate the slant. So, the slants should be a mixture of the colonies I picked.

what is agar?
and I bet if the cops ever broke into your house, they would think you're running a meth lab!
I like the videos, well done

Agar is an algae or seaweed-derived pectin-like compound (pectin is what's in blueberries that thickens a blueberry pie). It's used in the Pacific like gelatin. We use it instead of gelatin here because it is much more stable at room temperature.

Great videos very informative well done, I have watched them all quite a few times.

Where did you get your Bunsen burner setup did you buy separate or as a kit? I am asking SWMBO for yeast propagating/culturing goodies for xmas and thought I'd throw one of those on the list. the regulator is the part I'm having trouble finding. thanks

Great videos very informative well done, I have watched them all quite a few times.

Where did you get your Bunsen burner setup did you buy separate or as a kit? I am asking SWMBO for yeast propagating/culturing goodies for xmas and thought I'd throw one of those on the list. the regulator is the part I'm having trouble finding. thanks

I found the bunsen burner, petri dishes, and other lab supplies on some website that typically sells to high school labs I think (I can't remember the website). The bunsen burner was only maybe $10. The regulator was a bit tough to find and more expensive, but I ended up with this one.

thanks

damn that is a bit more, well i guess only in comparison to the burner itself. but that one is way more slick than any I could find. I have most everything else I have been gearing up for yeast culturing for a while. But I have to wait for xmas for anything else, as I swore off Drunken internet shopping. damn that bank statement, damn it to hell !!!

Back