Yeast color.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
So I cultured some bells yeast from Oberon and TH. I had 9 bottles and made a starter with it. 500ml at 1.025. Then 1L at 1.037. I used a stirplate but didn't see much happening. I didn't really watch either though. The yeast is a brown color. Kind of like a peanut butter color. I've never seen yeast this color before. The bottles were 5 months old so I'm wondering if the yeast to old or dead. It seems to be multiplying each step and my sanitation is good but I'm not sure if I should use it because of the off color.

So I cultured some bells yeast from Oberon and TH. I had 9 bottles and made a starter with it. 500ml at 1.025. Then 1L at 1.037. I used a stirplate but didn't see much happening. I didn't really watch either though. The yeast is a brown color. Kind of like a peanut butter color. I've never seen yeast this color before. The bottles were 5 months old so I'm wondering if the yeast to old or dead. It seems to be multiplying each step and my sanitation is good but I'm not sure if I should use it because of the off color.

I bet its fine. Have you tasted the uncarbed unhopped 'beer' from your starters?

I've never had yeast that wasn't white. But I've always made starters from fresh yeast. First time cultivating so don't know what to expect.

Latest posts

Back