Yeast Cell Count - Sans Microscope

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amarillo4BRKFST

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am planning on brewing a tripel today with some substantial yeast needs - so naturally I made a 1.8l starter with my 3787 pack. However - the activity inside the flask never looked too vigorous. The last time I made the same tripel recipe with this same strain; I had krausen coming out the top of the foam stopper in my 2l flask.

Fast forward to this morning - pulled it out of the fridge to decant and possibly make another starter from the cake and noticed that the foam stopper was actually partially stuck to the flask implying the krausen might have actually been pushed up into the foam stopper (the general indication I was looking for to indicate the starter was propagating correctly given it was a 1.8l starter).

So now I am a little confused on whether this starter has adequate cell count - and have no real way to determine said cell count. Does it seem like based on the activity of the krausen pushing up into the stopper the activity suggests that 'fermentation' was adequate? I realize that's not a scientific method but as the title demonstrates, I don't have a scientific way to determine the viability of this starter.

You just might help me salvage my tripel!

Edit: I forgot to mention I pitched ~74 billion viable cells into the 1.8l starter.

Latest posts

Back