Yeast Cake Too Old To Revive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewcoopergt

Reaction score
This is mainly as a way to get feedback on what you would have done, as I already kind of made my decision and will update (if people want it) to see how it went. I searched the forums, but didnt get any info for this situation.

I made a true spontaneously fermented beer last winter. 100% wild yeast fermented from whatever was in my backyard. Well, it's been sitting for a year, and I got very lucky and got a great result! Amazing taste and brett-like funk. So, naturally I wanted to continue this culture. My plan is to make a saison base recipe and just pitch the cake into a 3 gallon carboy.

But I wanted to make sure the cake was viable (should have racked the beer off the cake at like 6 months) before I wasted it on 3 gallons of wort. Last night I made some starter wort and put it on the cake. I woke up this morning very worried about losing this culture altogether if it didnt start fermenting because of it not really having much viability left. I saw absolutely no activity after 10 hours or so (although I know there is usually a long lag time for mainly wild/brett cultures). So, i made the decision to pour a small amount of WLP 568 (Saison Ale Yeast Blend) starter into it to hopefully get it going.

I really really wanted to make a pure wild yeast culture and carry that on, but i made a calculated decision to try to revive it and not risk losing it altogether.

Did I do the right thing, or did I jump the gun? Would there have been enough viability after a year to get going again without some added sacc?

Below is the beauty before I bottled the little beer I had last night! Only got 4 bottles...

10500441_10101154852922409_3575487797259765374_n.jpg

Yuo ruined the purity, but it'll be fine. You could rack at the end, and grow the bugs up in startes just for bugs....apple juice for bacteria, maltodextrin for brett, and go from there

Yuo ruined the purity, but it'll be fine. You could rack at the end, and grow the bugs up in startes just for bugs....apple juice for bacteria, maltodextrin for brett, and go from there

Cool. Yeah just might try that. That a decent way to try to get it back as pure as I can at this point?

You think there would have been enough still kicking in that cake after a year to have revived without the added Sacc?

I think it would have been find. Brett can take a couple days to kick off sometimes and sometimes likes warmer temps. I do brett starters at 75'

Back