Yeast Bay--offering some Brett blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vials arrived yesterday as well. I'll be using three of them this weekend in a split saison, and will also get the Brett strains going in quart mason jars for future use.

Is it safe to assume the Wallonian Farmhouse is a Dupont strain? I saw on Reddit biobrewer mentioned that there would be a Wallonian II soon bc that brewery has a bunch of good strains.

I don't think it is the Dupont strain judging by the description. It says spicy and smoky, which makes me think Fantome. Temp range is too low for the Dupont strain. Could be Vapeur, but I'm leaning towards Fantome. I got my vial in yesterday and might brew something with it next week.

I don't think it is the Dupont strain judging by the description. It says spicy and smoky, which makes me think Fantome. Temp range is too low for the Dupont strain. Could be Vapeur, but I'm leaning towards Fantome. I got my vial in yesterday and might brew something with it next week.

Agreed. I wouldn't say Dupont, mostly because it is already very easy to get yeast with a good Dupont-like flavor and this company seems to focus on strains that are not yet commercially available. Fantome is a good guess, but agree it could be something else.

Good points, just speculating. Fantome makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So anyone got a beer finished using the Vermont Ale yet? I've been trying to get my hands on Conan for a while now, but all known sources are perpetually sold out. I've heard the ECY version is no good anyway. The Yeast Bay seems the most likely to pan out, whenever they restock, but I'd like some confirmation that it's good before buying.

So anyone got a beer finished using the Vermont Ale yet? I've been trying to get my hands on Conan for a while now, but all known sources are perpetually sold out. I've heard the ECY version is no good anyway. The Yeast Bay seems the most likely to pan out, whenever they restock, but I'd like some confirmation that it's good before buying.

They are restocking today at 4 PM PST, according to their Facebook page. Their Facebook also contains some reviews and info on the strain if you look through the post.

They are restocking today at 4 PM PST, according to their Facebook page. Their Facebook also contains some reviews and info on the strain if you look through the post.

Damn, has FB become the newest news center? Or is moving operations there the latest trendy fad? As you can tell I'm way behind on social networking, and really don't have time or care for any of it.

Thanks for the HU. I'm curious to see what they've added. :mug:

Facebook is a great marketing tool and an even better way to interact with customers. This isn't anything new really, business have been doing this for a while. You shouldn't need an account to be able to look at their page.

I doubt they are adding anything new today, I think its just a restock thing since some people couldn't get Vermont Ale.

Guess I missed it. I was driving home, checked as soon as I got out of the car at 7:20 and everything was available except Conan. Gah!

The Facebook page indicates on one of the most recent posts that they'll be getting about 200 Vermont Ale next week, and that there'll be an order limit of two Vermont Ale per order. Better odds for everyone!

But, to stay on topic with the thread, all of the Brett blends and the Saison/Brett are available!

After talking to them, I've been starting at 68 and raising to 72 after a day or two. They said it should perform well in this range, and I think they hadn't tested it much at higher temps

I am following a similar fermentation profile on a beer with the Wallonian Farmhouse right now. I pitched at 64f free rose to 72 after 36 hours then I bumped it to 75 where it has been for the last 5 days.

Gonna sub into this and see what people are getting from the brett strains.

I'm interested in them, but want to know what strains people are using with certain grists and styles.

I just transferred by second batch with the saison/brett blend to secondary. Its gone from 1.045 to 1.003 in a week, and it tastes delicious. The description on the site is spot on: "a delightful ester profile of grapefruit and orange zest and imparts a long, dry and earthy finish to the beer". It blends really nicely with the sterling and halleratuer hops I used in this batch. No sign of the brett, but its only a week old. I'm reusing the yeast cake at least one more time to make something like Prairie's 'Merica---I think the ester profile will also blend well with the Nelson Sauvin hops.

I just transferred by second batch with the saison/brett blend to secondary. Its gone from 1.045 to 1.003 in a week, and it tastes delicious. The description on the site is spot on: "a delightful ester profile of grapefruit and orange zest and imparts a long, dry and earthy finish to the beer". It blends really nicely with the sterling and halleratuer hops I used in this batch. No sign of the brett, but its only a week old. I'm reusing the yeast cake at least one more time to make something like Prairie's 'Merica---I think the ester profile will also blend well with the Nelson Sauvin hops.

report back on the nelson when you do it.

I was thinking of using this in a saison I do. Nelson single hopped Saison with GNO's in it. Has a white wine/berry like nose and flavor. I'm thinking the beer would age great with the Brett.

Fatcity, what's your hopping rate for your Nelson saison? And what does gno stand for? Thanks!

I did a 'Merica clone a few weeks back, it was fantastic. I am brewing it again on Thursday for a local competition. I used tons of Nelson for this beer. I split it, half clena and half bottle conditioned with Brett. I popped a bottle the other night but the Brett hasnt developed much yet. By May I expect it to really be popping out.

http://riverwards.blogspot.com/2014/01/jah-rod-prairie-artisan-ales-merica.html

I did a 'Merica clone a few weeks back, it was fantastic. I am brewing it again on Thursday for a local competition. I used tons of Nelson for this beer. I split it, half clena and half bottle conditioned with Brett. I popped a bottle the other night but the Brett hasnt developed much yet. By May I expect it to really be popping out.

Yes, your post was part of the inspiration behind trying a 100% pilsner/nelson saison...

Nice. I love that beer. Looks like I need to order some poundage of Nelson.

Looking to brew my first Saison soon and was gonna use the Saison blend from the yeast Bay. Can I use it as a primary?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Looking to brew my first Saison soon and was gonna use the Saison blend from the yeast Bay. Can I use it as a primary?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Yes, that's what it is intended for.

From reading your tasting notes I think my next saison is going to use lots of nelson! Sounds real tasty! And I found a new blog to read, cheers!

Nelson Sauvin goes great with Brett. I just blew a keg of a wine/saison hybrid that was finished with some Brett. claussennii. It had a healthy NS hopping schedule at 60, whirlpool, and dry hop. Super pungent on the nose.

Nelson Sauvin goes great with Brett. I just blew a keg of a wine/saison hybrid that was finished with some Brett. claussennii. It had a healthy NS hopping schedule at 60, whirlpool, and dry hop. Super pungent on the nose.

Do the hops not fade over the aging time the brett takes? Or is it just a minimal fade?

In my experience the dry hops fade, but its interesting to taste the beer as it goes from a juicy pungent hop explosion to fruity Brett beer with some underlying Nelson goodness. There is still hop flavor and aroma as it ages its just not as big as it is when fresh. The Brett breaks down the oxidized hop compounds making age pretty gracefully imo.

I bottle conditioned with Brett for mine, it was clean young and then it was kind of mellow bc the dry hops faded now its in that nice fruity Brett sweetspot with a balance between the hops and Brett. I used Brett Trois and Clausenni to go for ultimate fruitiness.

So how are people using the brett blends? I made a starter with the Lochristi (maybe its just suggestion from the site description, but I swear it smelt like strawberries for a few days). I'm going to add some to secondary for a blonde saison/grisette that I have fermenting now. I may brew a near identical beer next weekend too, but sour this one with lacto and JP bugs along with a healthy pitch to secondary from the Lochristi starter. Then I'll keep the rest in a small jug with an airlock and feed it occasionally.

Just ordered two vials of the Wallonian Farmhouse strain. I'll test this one out with my standard saison recipes and see what's up with these guys. Pretty exciting. I'll get some brett strains next. If this is anything like the dregs I've gotten from bottles Fantome I'll be pumped.

So how are people using the brett blends? I made a starter with the Lochristi (maybe its just suggestion from the site description, but I swear it smelt like strawberries for a few days). I'm going to add some to secondary for a blonde saison/grisette that I have fermenting now. I may brew a near identical beer next weekend too, but sour this one with lacto and JP bugs along with a healthy pitch to secondary from the Lochristi starter. Then I'll keep the rest in a small jug with an airlock and feed it occasionally.

I brewed a big batch of a Saison I'm familiar with and split ~2 gallons each with just a vial of all 3 no starter. The beer was sufficiently dry at 1.003, so I will probably bottle early next week at the latest.

Received the wallonian farmhouse. Pretty excited to get my brew done this weekend to see what what flavors I get out of it.

Received the wallonian farmhouse. Pretty excited to get my brew done this weekend to see what what flavors I get out of it.

Awesome. Looking forward to your results. I'm brewing with WLP565 and possibly another with WLP566 this weekend. I'm excited about this new Wallonian yeast as well!

I pitched some Lochristi onto a Belgian Strong I had going after 5 days. Added some thoroughly rinsed oak chips into the better bottle and plan to let it ride for at least 9 months. I had about a gallon left from the primary that I will let go for two weeks and bottle to get an idea of what the before and after is like.

Oak chips produce quite a bit of flavor pretty quickly. I'd use cubes if planning to age for that long. I like to use less cubes for a longer time for a more complex taste. I will use chips if its something I need the oak in sooner rather than later.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

How you guys store your blends? I typically slant my yeasts, is there a way to store a mixed culture for a long time?

Oak chips produce quite a bit of flavor pretty quickly. I'd use cubes if planning to age for that long. I like to use less cubes for a longer time for a more complex taste. I will use chips if its something I need the oak in sooner rather than later.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

See, this is where I could have stood to do a bit of research. That was a bit of a concern of mine. I had actually considered trying to char them somehow to reduce those flavors, and had decided they were so small they were more likely to burn up than produce enough of a char layer to matter. Ultimately I settled on using very few, and rinsing them repeatedly to draw some of that flavor out. I think it may have been somewhat effective. When I originally soaked them the water changed color significantly, and as I changed the water, by the time I pitched them the water stayed clear. Perhaps color is not a significant indication of flavor, it was however the only observable indication of the chips leaching anything out. All I can do is hope at this point, or pull out and bottle early.

Back