Yeast Bay Blends...What to Do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBrewer

Reaction score
I've just gotten into sour/funk brewing and as of now have only one 100% Brett beer under my belt. Wanting to dive further into funky and sour beer, I ordered from The Yeast Bay and picked up their Farmhouse Sour Blend and the Brettanomyces Saison Blend. My idea as of now is to make a 10 gallon batch, then split it into 2-five gallon fermenters, then add one vial to each. Now, my dillema is, I will need to keep the IBU's low since the sour blend has lacto, but the Brett blend doesn't. Will there be a problem with the Brett beer if it's low on IBU's? I don't want to brew two separate beers cause I want to see how the same wort differs with different blends. Also let me know what you think of my recipe, thanks guys and gals.

Recipe: Saison Base
OG: 1.054
FG: ?????

10 Gallons
Grain:
14 lbs Pilsen 70%
2.5 lbs Wheat malt 12.5%
1.5 lbs Light Munich 7.5%
1 lbs Flaked Oats 5%
1 lbs Honey 5%

Hops:
1.5 oz Crystal @ 60 min. = 7 IBU's
0.5 oz Crystal @ 20 min. = 1 IBU

-I would aim for lower OG (1.040ish).
-You will probably want additional IBUs in the brett saison. A hop tea would work (1oz 4-5AA hops boiled in 2 cups water for 15 minutes; chilled; and strained into the brett batch should suffice)

I would brew as planned, but pull 5 gallons off before your 20 minute addition into a plastic fermenter/bucket for your sour portion. Then you can up your hops from then on for the Brett portion. I often do a 90 minute boil and before adding 60 minute hops I pull a gallon off to feed my growlers of Brett and lacto starters kept on hand.

I would omit the honey. It'll be dry enough without the simple sugars and I doubt any honey character will make it through the maturing of sourness and funk. You can always add it a bit before packaging time or even measure out for priming.

I've just gotten into sour/funk brewing and as of now have only one 100% Brett beer under my belt. Wanting to dive further into funky and sour beer, I ordered from The Yeast Bay and picked up their Farmhouse Sour Blend and the Brettanomyces Saison Blend. My idea as of now is to make a 10 gallon batch, then split it into 2-five gallon fermenters, then add one vial to each. Now, my dillema is, I will need to keep the IBU's low since the sour blend has lacto, but the Brett blend doesn't. Will there be a problem with the Brett beer if it's low on IBU's? I don't want to brew two separate beers cause I want to see how the same wort differs with different blends. Also let me know what you think of my recipe, thanks guys and gals.

Recipe: Saison Base
OG: 1.054
FG: ?????

10 Gallons
Grain:
14 lbs Pilsen 70%
2.5 lbs Wheat malt 12.5%
1.5 lbs Light Munich 7.5%
1 lbs Flaked Oats 5%
1 lbs Honey 5%

Hops:
1.5 oz Crystal @ 60 min. = 7 IBU's
0.5 oz Crystal @ 20 min. = 1 IBU

I agree, no honey needed. If you want to get more hop into the Saison/Brett version and less into the Farmhouse Sour, you can do a couple things. One option is split batch boil (if possible). You could also do one boil, boil for 30 minutes with enough hops to get target IBU for Farmhouse Sour Ale, drain half off and cool (easy peasy if you have a plate chiller, still doable with IC), and then hop the remaining half to hit target IBU for Saison/Brett half.

Back