Yeast at bottling time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyRN

Reaction score
1. Under what circumstances do you add additional yeast prior to bottling? I have a porter that I will be racking to a secondary after 2-3 weeks in primary. I planning on leaving it in secondary for a good month.

2. How long do yeast stay in suspension?

3. Does any one stir up some some of the yeast cake prior to bottling?

I've only bottled one batch. I kegged the last two. My first batch carbonated fine but that was only a two week fermentation then right to bottles.

1. You probably won't need to re-pitch at bottling. Only needed if the beer has been bulk aging several months and/or the alcohol content is up there at the yeast's max alcohol tolerance.

2. There's usually plenty of yeast still in suspension to carbonate when you add priming sugar.

3. No. Don't do this! Carefully rack off the cake. You'll have plenty of yeast in suspension w/o the need to stir up the trub. (See #2)

Reyeasting at bottling time is generally only done when you've been lagering for 6 months or longer, or you have a wicked high ABV(like 9-10%)
A month or two is no problem, plenty of yeast remain in suspension.
Now I won't admit it, But I do dip the end of my siphon in the trub just before starting the siphon. The initial suck is a little cloudy. Oops, I did admit it...........;)

Back