Yeast and drastic temp changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walturd

Reaction score
So, I have a new controller and wanted to ferment in my keezer. (Nothing else was in there at the moment). I put in my fermentation bucket that has a probe inside of it. I plugged in the fridge to the controller. It took the temp all the way down into the 50s. So i thought maybe the basement was already too cold to use the fridge so i used the heating element and plugged that in and set the controller to heat. Checked on it in the morning and the temp was 86! Put the bucket up on 2x4s in the fridge to get it off the floor of the keezer. Went back to cool and now its been sitting there at 68 degrees. (Yay! Fixed a problem). But now no fermentation is happening. Did I shock the yeast and it just needs more time? Its been almost a day... Or should I repitch?

The temps you mention aren’t yeast killers, but depending on the strain you used, you may have flavors in your beer like peachy or banana or clove. What yeast did you pitch?

That’s bad luck. You had high temps at the most vulnerable time,the growth stage. How big of a deal it is, is all dependent on the strain you brewed with. You could be fine with a bigger ester profile or you could have fusel/harsh alcohol flavors and other off flavors.

Back