Yeast amounts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
Can you have so much washed yeast in a 16 oz mason jar, in my case half of the mason jar full of yeast, you don't need to do a starter? Could I just take them out on brew day let them rise to temp shake and pitch?

Probably, if you did a bad job of rinsing your yeast you essentially have slurry. What sort of beer are you pitching it into? How long did you store the rinsed yeast?

Do you have a pic?

I believe even though we wash yeast to rid the sample of trub, there is still a bit of trub left in the sample, and the very small white creamy layer on the top is the yeast and lightly tanned bottom is trub.

Thanks for asking something I've been wondering about too, hope your post receives solid answers! :mug:

It will have been stored for 6 days. It is whitelabs California ale yeast. It fermented tasty's Janet's brown ale. It will be used on tits up IIPA with with an OG of 1.083.

image-1225926679.jpg

It will have been stored for 6 days. It is whitelabs California ale yeast. It fermented tasty's Janet's brown ale. It will be used on tits up IIPA with with an OG of 1.083.

That looks like it is mixed with quite a bit of trub. 001/1056 normally forms a really light colored, densely-packed yeast layer when it is washed well.

IMAG0180.jpg

Pablo, how many times did you wash the yeast in that pic? Mine look like Jt's with one washing. Looks like you have a very clean yeast sample.

Dan said:
Pablo, how many times did you wash the yeast in that pic? Mine look like Jt's with one washing. Looks like you have a very clean yeast sample.

Dan do you still use yours with no problem? You make it sound like you take the mason jar and repeat the washing process and get better results the second time around.

I did it just like the BillyBrew video. 1 gallon + 4 pints of boiled/cooled water into carboy. Shake like heck, wait 30-40 minutes. Pour 1/2-3/4 gallon into 1 gallon jar, shake REALLY well, wait 20 minutes, pour into 4 pint jars. I have done 1056 and Bell's like this and it works great.

Personally it depends on how long the yeast has been in the fridge. If it's only been a few days, then I'd pitch it, but if it's been a couple weeks where the yeast had been dormant, I make a small starter, just to wake up the yeast and get it active after a bit of a sleep.

Dan do you still use yours with no problem? You make it sound like you take the mason jar and repeat the washing process and get better results the second time around.

Yes still works great!

No, I just wash one time. I was wondering if more washings got better results. I thought maybe Pablo did but sounds as though he waited a little longer and shook well which is more than I did before pouring the gallon into the pint mason jars.

The last yeast cake I stuck in the fridge was just pure cake and some beer. That's a heck of a lot of yeast cells ready to devour a bucket of wort!

Back