Yeast amazes me....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
Wow. after almost 200 brews I am still amazed by yeast. I usually like to keep yeast at the lower end of the recommended range. Doing that I have found that the fermentations are usually slow and controlled. I do still as a habit use a blow off tube. In all the brews I have done I have only had about 5-6 times that I really needed it until today.

I brewed my yearly Biere. de Garde. I use WY 1007. This time of year my basement is very cold. This year it is cooler than normal about 55-56. So I brewed my beer. Coooled to 62, pitched yeast and put it in the basement., and not in my fermentation chamber. I considered not putting a blow off tube on this one.... I thought , Cold, it will be a slow ferment. I was so wrong. 55 basement, 62 degree temp and this thing is going ape chit. Blow off like crazy. Yeasty beastys are just having a fun orgy. Glad I put the blow off tube on this one. I would have never thought that this yeast at this temp would go this crazy. Crazy little party animals.

There is no way that this yeast at this temp should have the blow off like this... or so I rhought.

Latest posts

Back