Yeast Alternatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBills

Reaction score
I ordered some yeast that died I'm guessing due to heat in transit from Austin Homebrew supply. Took a week to get here. Made starters, absolutely no activity and the gravity hasn't changed since Friday. I'm going to try and find some locally to replace it. Here are the strains of yeast and the beer I'm brewing. Could you recommend any Wyeast or dry yeast or any type of yeast (liquid or dry) that would work for these beers that I might be able to find locally? I got a couple home brew stores so I should be able to find some of your recommendations.

Here's the info:

AHS Anniversary Wit (16A) - Mini Mash
White Labs Belgian Wit Ale WLP400

Guinness Extra Stout (13A) - Mini Mash
White Labs Irish Ale WLP004

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (10A) - Mini Mash
White Labs California Ale WLP001

Chimay Grande Reserve (18E) - Mini Mash
White Labs Trappist Ale WLP500

AHS Promo American IPA (14B) - Mini Mash
White Labs California Ale WLP001

Thanks in advance.

For the SNPA and the IPA, Safale US-05 would be a perfect dry substitute (the same strain, I believe).
Safbrew T-58 is a good dry yeast for a Wit, IMO.
I don't know about the Irish, but for the Chimay you really gotta go with the Chimay strain, WLP500 or Wyeast 1214.

For the SNPA and the IPA, Safale US-05 would be a perfect dry substitute (the same strain, I believe).
Safbrew T-58 is a good dry yeast for a Wit, IMO.
I don't know about the Irish, but for the Chimay you really gotta go with the Chimay strain, WLP500 or Wyeast 1214.

Chess, thanks a lot. Huge help.

I ordered some yeast that died I'm guessing due to heat in transit from Austin Homebrew supply. Took a week to get here....

Bummer. I order from AHS frequently and it takes way longer than a week to get to me out here in the jungle -- usually more like a month (not an AHS issue in my case). It is my perception at least, no hard data to back this up, that I have better results with dry yeasts, but I've had liquid yeasts successfully make the trip too, but they do seem to need a bit more coaxing to get them going after the long trip.

I've had very good experience with AHS -- I suggest you let them know.

Re dry substitutes, Fermentis yeasts have worked well for me (like the US-05 already suggested) and I have started using them almost exclusively.

I've also started banking my yeast to avoid time in transit issues.

I would agree with chess that us-05 would be good, its a general ale yeast. You could also try us-04 or nottingham, easy to find. I used the WLP500 for a belgian dark and was very happy. You could try buying some belgian beer and harvesting the yeast from the bottles.

Back