Yeast, alcohol content, and bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy-C

Reaction score
I recently brewed a gruit beer that had an OG of 1.090 and a FG of 1.020. This was my first time using a yeast starter, which I did at the recommendation of the person who runs my local home brew supply store. His reasoning was that the starter would give the yeast a chance to finish fermenting the wort before becoming overwhelmed by the rising alcohol content, and apparently that worked. So now my question: If I'm using a starter because I want the yeast to be able to finish primary fermentation before being overwhelmed, how will this affect bottling? I.E. won't the yeast already be overwhelmed and thus incapable of carbonating the beer once I've added priming sugar and bottled?

Not sure what yeast you used, but a couple times a year I brew some BIG beers in the 10.5-12% range. I haven't added yeast to the bottling bucket yet and I bottle those beers. So far I've not had any problem. Not even on my Baltic porter at 12% using W34/70. I age them 3-6 months though. Not sure of that has anything to do with it or not.

Good luck and happy brewing

Back