Yeast Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam5fc

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to brewing for the most part. I've had a couple of successful kit brews after moving on from Mr. Beer.

Just tried my hand at a clone beer. I pitched my yeast (Dusseldorf Alt Yeast (WLP036)) and the airlock was going insanely crazy the next day. After about a day and half to two days, the activity has ceased. I'm sure there is still activity in there, but after going bull-bore and then stopping I just want to know if I need to pitch more yeast or just let it sit for the remaining 7 days that I have allotted for the fermentation.

Thanks for the help, and Cheers! :mug:

I am not sure how that particular yeast acts but in general if you ferment at higher temperatures the really active part can pass very quickly. Sometimes even during the overnight period causing people to thing the yeast was bad. There is nothing really unusual here.

I ferment toward the low end of the range for each yeast and have had fermentations last for more than a week. As to the seven days; it is better to go by gravity readings than a time schedule. I ferment most of my brews for 3 weeks. When pushing things I get the beer to final gravity then wait a couple more days to let the yeast do some clean up, then package.

Back