Ye Olde Wyeast LONDON ALE (need experts)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

typebrad

Reaction score
So, I've read many threads how this yeast boggles people's minds. Is it working, is it not? Do I need to throw some other yeast (totally changing my flavor profile) to get it rockin'? Bla bla bla.

Well, I'm still in that WTF boat, I guess.

Pitched a Wyeast American Ale 1056 and a London Ale 1028 at the same time (roughly a week ago).

Per usual, the AA took off. Fermentation explosion. I always love to see that. The LA, well, gave me about an inch high krausen that dissipated after about 48 hours, and not a ton of activity in suspension.

What do you guys (or gals) think is doing? Is it dead in the water? Is it the personality of this strain?

Wyeast said ... "Let it keep chuggin' along." Well, there doesn't appear to be much chuggin' and I'm scared it's just gonna mold in that sweaty carboy.

I'm steady between 65 and 67 degrees on both.

EXAMPLE A (American Ale):

High krausen
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411911589.613184.jpg

Fermentation mosh pit
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411911610.697265.jpg

EXAMPLE B (London Ale):

Where da krausen go?
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411911684.263451.jpg

This party dead, y'all (I can't tell if that's stuff in suspension, or just grain from the quality of my photo. It's about a 14 SRM beer, so it's hard to tell even with the naked eye)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411911736.296300.jpg

What do you people think? Pouring out a $50 batch of brew would be heartbreaking.

Wait until day 10-14 then take a gravity reading and you will know.

Different yeasts act differently. A large krausen on one yeast does not mean it is doing more than a yeast with a small krausen. I doubt you have a problem. But, I have never used the London Ale yeast.

Take some readings! See what the gravity is doing, then and only then freak out.

I do, of course. I just hate cracking open the fermenter and dipping a (sanitized) turkey baster in my beer too often at risk of contamination. My freezer is in the garage, I have hairy dogs. Fruit flies always try and sneak in. Rag weed is super-intense right now in my region. It just seems risky every time I get samples, but I suppose it's a necessary evil.

I do, of course. I just hate cracking open the fermenter and dipping a (sanitized) turkey baster in my beer too often at risk of contamination. My freezer is in the garage, I have hairy dogs. Fruit flies always try and sneak in. Rag weed is super-intense right now in my region. It just seems risky every time I get samples, but I suppose it's a necessary evil.

There is really no need for a lot of samples. Wait until fermentation is normally finished. Or when you are ready to transfer to secondary or bottle it. Then take a reading. If it is not near the predicted FG then you can take steps to make it finish. If there is not a problem you can wait 24 hours for the second reading to be sure it is at FG or if you are pretty confident it is finished go ahead and bottle it.

I often only take one FG reading.

I have had similar fermentations with 1028 (small krausen, etc) and it finished up just fine. I'd take a reading after 4 or 5 days (English strains are fast fermenters). If it's a bit high, up the temp a couple degrees and try to gently rouse the yeast by swirling the carboy (I've only ever had to do this with English strains as they occasionally floc out early.

UPDATE: Unbelievable. I am shocked. Full attenuation and the pre-conditioned/pre-carbed brew tastes amazing. This must be the fastest yeast strain around. And don't look for signs of much going on. There won't be any. Reached my target FG and I'll be racking to bottle after a cold crash. Stoked!

There is really no need for a lot of samples. Wait until fermentation is normally finished. Or when you are ready to transfer to secondary or bottle it. Then take a reading. If it is not near the predicted FG then you can take steps to make it finish. If there is not a problem you can wait 24 hours for the second reading to be sure it is at FG or if you are pretty confident it is finished go ahead and bottle it.

I often only take one FG reading.

I'm same as this guy. I only take one FG reading and that right before kegging or bottling. Sometimes I even forget to do that because I really don't care. I'm not an ABV queen so whatever it fermented to as long as it tastes as I want that's all I care about. If it doesn't taste as intended then I will measure it to take note of having to change something next time. I make a lot of sours and rarely if ever take FG readings.

I don't take samples either. OG (sometimes) and FG (because I'm not a fan of sweet brews). I like to make sure it converted a lot of the sugars is all. But when it looks like your yeast is doing nothing, it's a bummer thinking about pouring that $40-50 down the drain.

Back