YARMRS (Yet Another Review My RIMS Schematic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewskitom

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to build a RIMS controller for a single Bilchmann Riptide pump and RIMS Rocket. My design is based on one of P-J’s old single 20A RIMS setup:

Basic RIMS.jpg

Here is my current thinking:

PID Controller Schematic.png

I like the idea of putting the heater element and pump switches in series to the heater won't run unless the pump is running.

My design differs in the following ways:
  1. I’m not a fan of the “intentionally create short circuit to trigger upstream GFCI” shut-off strategy, so I excluded that circuitry.

2. I didn’t see any purpose in having a dedicated switch to turn off just the PID.

3. Inkbird rather than Auberg PID (not significant).

4. Heater switch controls the 120V input to the SSR switching side, rather than the low voltage switching input. Thus no leakage current when the switch is off.

5. Output of the SSR is switched by a second gang on the pump switch so there is no current to the heater if the pump is off.

My current (pun intended) thinking is to use these switches from Auber:

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_70&products_id=223

Each switch block contains a pair of 10A contacts. The two switches for the heater element will need to use both sets of contacts in parallel.

I should probably add a master on-off switch! Is there any reason to switch both the hot and neutral to the heater element?

Comments? Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks,

Tom

Latest posts

Back