YA Counterflow Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
OK, building a CF chiller, using some 3/8 soft copper and an old drinking hose... Ready to assemble but questioning my roll up.

I know many suggest using a corny, but I don't want a round chiller, I'm thinking oblongish. I have 2 4 inch PVC pipes about 12 inches apart, would a half wrap of the copper around the 4" PVC be too tight?

C______C <- each C is a 4" PVC form.

Reverse the 2nd C and add a line between the tops, is what I'm trying to build to shape wise. Hopefully you all understand.

The problem you might run in to is kinking the copper tubing. When I built mine, I rolled around a corny keg and strapped the cools tight together with ties. After this was done, You could gentle message the circle into an oval. I would have the tubes crimped and still filled with water though. Good Luck.

Also, the straighter you make your chiller the faster fluid will move through it. In the case of a chiller the less efficient it is at moving fluid the more efficient it will be at chilling it..

Back