Xzarfenbrau (a Very potent Stout/Porter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xzarfna

Reaction score
Hey there! I've just opened a bottle of the first beer i've ever made not from a kit or recipe - my own design!
In all honesty i thought it was really good - not a perfect beer, but i've enjoyed all 2l of the stuff that was in that bottle :)

So, i decided to share the recipe here incase anyone else wants to recreate it!
(20 litre batch)
Ingredients:
1/3KG Crystal Malt
1/3KG Carapils Malt
1/3KG Chocolate Malt
1KG Light Dry Extract (Plus 2KG Light Dry extract for later)
1/2KG Dark Dry Extract
1/2KG Dark Muscovado Sugar
100g Apollo Hops
70g cascade Hops
70g Galaxy Hops
US-05 Yeast.

Simply mash the Grain malt and add to your FV. In a separate pan, boil the 1KG Light dry, the 1/2KG Dark extract and 1/2kg muscovado sugar in water, and put 40g of the Apollo hops in a hop bag - boiling in the sugar mix. After 10 mins, add 40g of Cascade, 40g of Galaxy and another 30g of Apollo to the bag, and allow to boil for another 5 mins. Add this mix to your FV and top up to 20 litres.
Rehydrate the yeast, and add to the wort.
After a few hours, add the remaining hops to a sterile hop bag, and add to the FV to dry hop the beer.
After 3-4 days of fermenting, add the remaining 2kg of light dry extract, stir with sterile spoon, and let ferment for another 7 days.
After 7 days you can bottle, and leave for a minimum of 2 weeks before popping one of them open and having a hell of a pint!

ABV around 8%

Back