Xoakers Oak Spheres in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcticBear

Reaction score
Trying to find if anyone has any experience with these things.

XP-xoakers-250_sq1.jpg

I picked them up to age 5 gallons of my 10w50 (ten fidy clone) Russian Imperial Stout. 10.5% abv, dark roasty sweetness.

It will be aging for another 4-5 months in a tertiary and then bulk aging in a keg when desired "oakiness" is achieved.

I have been told to stay away from oak chips, i am waiting on an incoming shipment of oak cubes, but i want to soak these in some knob creek bourbon for a week before putting them in the carboy.

The guy at the homebrew shop i picked up them up (EXTREMELY knowledgeable published brewer) suggested 1 ball of french or american medium plus toast for all 5 gallons. He seemed pretty confident on that.

However, dosage on the manufacturers website says 1-2 balls per gallon for win. i know you want to use less for beer than wine, but its a heavy beer and i want it to bring some good oak characteristics to this beer.

He also suggested only leaving it on the oak balls for 2-3 weeks, where the manufacturer recommends 4-6 months.

Anyone with some experience with these would be greatly appreciated.

Back