Wyeast Under the Christmas Tree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthebugman

Reaction score
So I got a Northern Brewer kit for Christmas today and when I opened it there was a Wyeast smack pack...oops. Seems it's probably been wrapped up under the tree since early December. The temps inside have been around 70. What would you rate the viability as? As soon as I can finish my stir plate (hopefully next weekend) I'll be ready to get a starter going so I don't think it'll be an issue, but thought I'd elicit some thoughts. Probably not the first guy it's happened to...

Put it in the fridge and make the starter when you're ready. You might think about stepping it up twice unless it really takes off.

Edit: great point above!

Thanks! I figured it would probably make the viability go down, but wasn't sure by how much. Gives me an idea of where to start.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you fried the yeast. Just fridge it and treat as normal.

Think about this... You can pull an unrefrigerated bottle of Bells's off a shelf and grow the yeast from the dregs. It just needs a little more coaxing.

Back