Wyeast Still Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchLiebeBier

Reaction score
Hi all,
Long time lurker, first time post.

I just got back from a family vacation and I found that my beer fridge had lost power due to a tripped circuit. I have no idea how long it was without power, but it could have been anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks.

In it were my 2 packs of Wyeast waiting to be used (1272 and 3068). They have NOT been smacked.

My question is, if I smack them and they swell, and make a starter to ensure viability, will there be any off flavors from the yeasts due to warming up?

Should I just chunk them and not risk it, or would it be fine if they do well in the starter?

Thanks.

For future search purposes, here is the response I just received back from Wyeat (very quickly, too, I might add):

"I would use them in starters. The issue is viability and vitality loss. If the cultures are recovered using starters there should be no off flavor issues."

Latest posts

Back