WYEAST Smack Pack In a Starter Questions..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4mmy86

Reaction score
Okay, so I smacked my pack a little while ago, how long do I need to let the pack swell before I pitch it into a yeast starter?

also, this is my first attempt at a yeast starter, so any advice on that is appreciated.
Here is what I have to work with: DME, WYEAST Smack Pack, a half gallon jar with no lid that I plan to top the jar with foil.

Any input at all is greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance!

With Wyeast just pop the pack on the inside and give it a gentle
shake every now and then. Make sure it is room temp or else it wont swell as quickly. there is no need for a jar. let it swell for and hour or so and pitch.

Its a new pack, its fine and doing exactly as it should.

I just know some people prefer to let a wyeast pack swell for a few days before they pitch it, I was wondering if the reasoning for that would change if you're pitching it into a yeast starter.

The jar is what I'm putting my yeast starter in, rather than an erlenmeyer flask.

I have done a couple of starters. For both, I smacke and let it sit for 3 or 4 hours then pitched. Check out stirstarters.com. I got a stir plate from them for $45. Great deal and it makes a big difference on your starter quality and effort.

I get the yeast to room temp and then pitch into the starter. I fish out the 'pack' rinse it off, sanitize it, cut it open and pitch it in the starter as well.

Been using this process for a long time with great results. I think I first heard about it from Jamil on the BN.

In reply to your question, you can pitch the yeast any time. Google dme grams water starter you'll find the formula. I think its 10 grams DME to 100 mil of water but you really want to check this
:drunk

I get the yeast to room temp and then pitch into the starter. I fish out the 'pack' rinse it off, sanitize it, cut it open and pitch it in the starter as well.

Been using this process for a long time with great results. I think I first heard about it from Jamil on the BN.

In reply to your question, you can pitch the yeast any time. Google dme grams water starter you'll find the formula. I think its 10 grams DME to 100 mil of water but you really want to check this
:drunk

That's really interesting. It had crossed my mind to try separating the packs before, but I never followed thru

Huh.. I guess I'm lazy. I just pull it out of the fridge, pop it.. shake it, and leave it on the counter while I start dragging out all my brew stuff. By the time I'm ready to pitch, it's 3-4 hours in atleast, and it's swelled so much it's ready to take flight.

The oldest yeast I've had is 15 days old stamped on the package, my LHBS keeps it all fresh, so I figure I don't need to mess with a starter.

As soon as the package starts to swell the yeast inside are active and it is ready to pitch. Waiting longer is only going to harm the yeast.

While the yeast companies advertise 1 pack or vial as a ready pitch, use your common sense. Is the best amount of yeast for a 1.040 bitter and a 1.070 bock going to be the same? Of course not. A single pack or vial may give you a good finished product but using a pitching rate calculator and preparing a proper starter will give you the best results.

You don't need to wait long for the smack pack. The "smack" is just releasing some yeast nutrients. Dumping those same nutrients in your jar and adding more yeast nutrients from the wort will get your yeast off to a good start.

The important variables for a good starter are volume, OG, and aeration. Unlike beer, you should aerate the starter as frequently as possible. A stir plate does it continually, but if you don't have one, swirling the jar frequently will help keep the oxygen level up and the yeast reproducing.

Also, get your starter down to room temp before pitching. Ideally, you'd like to avoid going from cold, to warm, and back to room temp in the span of a couple hours.

Back