Wyeast saison 3724?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srbrown911

Reaction score
So the recommended temp is 70 to 95 degrees. Now thats its December in Pittsburgh I was going to put the fermentor on my second floor of my house which should be about 72 degrees. Question is, would I be able to put it next to a heater vent to make it a little warmer?

Totally fine to put it near a vent. I would consider getting a heating pad (for lizards) for consistent temp control (your heater will cycle on/off causing swings) though.

That temp range is really just to illustrate how wide it's ferment range is. You won't have trouble fermenting lower, but you might not get the character you might be looking for. Plus, it might be slower.

Other options are pitching warm (like at the upper range of that temp line) and letting it drop naturally. That will create some of that saison craziness but it will not be too over bearing.

Good luck!

Totally fine to put it near a vent. I would consider getting a heating pad (for lizards) for consistent temp control (your heater will cycle on/off causing swings) though.

That temp range is really just to illustrate how wide it's ferment range is. You won't have trouble fermenting lower, but you might not get the character you might be looking for. Plus, it might be slower.

Other options are pitching warm (like at the upper range of that temp line) and letting it drop naturally. That will create some of that saison craziness but it will not be too over bearing.

Good luck!

Sounds good. I saw those pads on ebay for 10-20 dollars maybe I'll get one of those. Do you know how warm they tend to get?

This yeast is known to stick around 1.030, and it will if you try to ferment it low, I use it often, Here is what works best for me with 3724, Pitch yeast at 70 to 75 then after fermentation starts, raise temp 3 to 4 deg every day till you hit 85 deg, then keep it above 85 un-till done.

This is how I avoid stuck fermentation with this yeast and it works great, below 80 and it will most likely stick, been there done that, hope this helps.

Cheers :mug:

Yea another good idea...thanks.

The beauty of that heater is the temp range goes up to 89 degrees and is very accurate. It is easy to bump the temp up a little each day. Also it is fully submersible.

It was not very expensive, about 30 bucks if I recall.

beergolf said:
The beauty of that heater is the temp range goes up to 89 degrees and is very accurate. It is easy to bump the temp up a little each day. Also it is fully submersible.

It was not very expensive, about 30 bucks if I recall.

Actually just ordered a 300 watt one on amazon for 20, will be getting a 20 gallon roped tub at lowes for 7 to put it in so I should be set.

Back