Wyeast London 1028 Vs Safale Us-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to make the jump back to US 05 for all non specialty beers that I brew. I started with it and had great results. I then "graduated" to using liquid yeast as its .... better? For some reason I was convinced of that.

Going back to dry yeast, now if my ingredients arrive through the mail, I can brew that day. No more making starters. Don't worry about harvesting, washing, storing .... getting a random infection and ruining a batch, or slowly mutating over time and not getting constant results. Get a good cheaper fresh pack or two of US 05 and be confident in it .

I'm about to make the jump back to US 05 for all non specialty beers that I brew. I started with it and had great results. I then "graduated" to using liquid yeast as its .... better? For some reason I was convinced of that.

Going back to dry yeast, now if my ingredients arrive through the mail, I can brew that day. No more making starters. Don't worry about harvesting, washing, storing .... getting a random infection and ruining a batch, or slowly mutating over time and not getting constant results. Get a good cheaper fresh pack or two of US 05 and be confident in it .

Recently on HBT another member suggested Mangrove M44 as a replacement for US-05. I bought a few packs of M44 and will use in an upcoming brew.

Discuss which Yeast you like better for making porters and why.
depends how much yeast characteristics you want.

US-05 is a cleaner yeast, some claim it can give peach aromatics but i've never got that. so if you want to emphasize malts, or hops, i'd suggest 05. it also has the potential to attenuate more than an english yeast, so depending how you treat it you could end up with a drier beer.

1028 will give you more esters. nothing crazy, but it'll contribute (especially if you use it at the upper end of its range).

personally, every time i've made a porter it's been with an english yeast. i like complexity and a little thickness/sweetness in my porters. i generally prefer english yeasts on any beer that features the malt(s).

WY1028 is without a doubt my favorite yeast for porters and stouts; attenuative, relatively clean fermentation (no diacetyl) with mild-moderate fruity esters. Has an earthy-minerality that adds nice complexity to RIS, FES, and UK dark styles. Chico is nice as well, but IMO more suited to cleaner and more neutral styles (or that use coffee, chocolate, ect).

Back