Wyeast liquid 4184 ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncdeerhunter

Reaction score
Started a batch of strawberry wine.

1 gallon batch
3.5pds fresh strawberries
7pts water
5.5 cups sugar
1/4tsp tannin
1/2tsp pectic enzyme
1tsp nutrient
1 campden-crushed

Let sit for 24 hrs, checked acid was at .25 tartaric, adjusted with acid blend to .5, starting S.G.1.090. Here comes the fun part, thought I had activated a packet of Wyeast 4184 sweet mead, unfortunately the nutrient packet had not busted, I elected to add the yeast and nutrient packet. A lil over 24 hrs now and no yeast activity. I have read in multiple forums that this is a slow yeast to begin with several different opinions on how to get it started or just letting it sit for days for the yeast to finally start working or not. Add a yeast starter? Another packet of yeast making sure it activates this time? Add another yeast? Wait? Anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!

nearly 72 hours and zero activity, have checked S.G., no change.......very tempted to make a small starter and pitch tonight, gonna learn the hard way and continue to talk to myself on here with out some guidance from the more experienced, thanks for ANY input

Strawberries are fairly acidic. You may want to check the pH (rather than the TA) of the must.. TA tells you how much acid is in the must. pH tells you how strong are the acids in the must. The yeast is more concerned with the strength of the acids (the pH). Your taste buds are more concerned with quantity of acids (the TA)... But that said, the problem may simply be that if you never activated the yeast you may have simply pitched too few active yeast cells for you to be able to detect any activity so soon after pitching

Latest posts

Back