Wyeast 3724 - fruit in secondary speeds it along?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbunn

Reaction score
I'll put the question first and then the explanation of why I'm asking second...

Question: Has anyone else noticed a re-invigorated fermentation with Wyeast 3724 upon adding fruit? Any thoughts on why this might be... (in this case, I don't think it's just the added sugar since it's rhubarb, which doesn't have a ton of new sugar.)

Background: Alright, so this is the second time I have brewed this particular beer... Last summer it was a hit, so this year is round 2. It's a pretty basic saison recipe that gets fermented with 3724 and then I add three or so pounds of rhubarb to the secondary. Last time everything went fairly well, but this time the stupid yeast did its stupid stalling trick and crawled from 1.030 down to 1.020. I racked it and that did a little to move it along. (And yes, temps were in the 80's for most of the primary and secondary.) Anyhow, the oddness is that once I racked it a second time (back to a 6 gallon carboy to accommodate the rhubarb addition), the darn thing started fermenting pretty actively. It's not blazing speed for a "normal" yeast, but it's a blip every 4 seconds or so out the airlock and it's been going for a couple of days like this. The only things that are different are that it was racked (and I'm not thinking it's an infection at this point) and that the rhubarb was added. I vaguely remember something similar happening last year. Any thoughts or observations are welcome...

Latest posts

Back