Wyeast 3711 hop pairing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRikkles

Reaction score
I've got a rye saison in the hopper and am unsure if my planned hop schedule will interfere with the 3711 flavor profile I'm trying to get. I'm planning on using Chinook as a bittering hop with Styrian Bobek additions around 15 mins and flameout. I'm aiming for an earthy and spicy characteristic to complement the 18% rye I'll be using.

I plan to ferment between 75 and 80.

What interaction will these hops have with the yeast profile? I'd like something complementary, and want to avoid unflattering competition or one dominate the other. Thanks!

I used the hops suggested in Saison Furtif thread when I used 3711, and it came out quite nicely. Not familiar with Bobek, and havent used chinook in awhile.

It all depends on amounts. If you're adding only .5 ounce additions each time, you'll have almost no hop flavor to compete with the yeast. If you're adding 5 ounce additions each time, you'll have way too much hop character. What amounts, and what batch size?

I did a Rye Saison with 3711 last fall.

I bittered with 2oz of Styrian Goldings (33 IBU) and dry hopped with 2oz of Amarillo. I got a thumbs up from my saison drinking friends.

I like to bitter Saison with lower AA hops, but like Zymurgist said it's all about amount.

3711 is a pretty beautiful yeast and I think you'd get it about right with an ounce of late hops. 3711 is a fruity yeast with nice phenols, but I ferment it at 69. I would not use chinook with it. I like it with floral and spices noble hops like tettnager and think it would also go well with traditional English hops or Styrian Goldings. When Either is strong, I think phenols and hops go together like orange juice and toothpaste; the whole trick of saison is to get the very tricky balance. By the way, for classic saison, 3711 needs a little acidulated malt to get the tartness. I'm talking a quarter pound, but it doesn't get tart like the DuPont strain.

My plan was to add .65 oz of Chinook at 60 (29 IBUs), .65 oz of Styrian Bobeck at 15 (6 IBUs) with another .65 oz of Styrian Bobeck at flameout. The IBUs are high for a Saison, but so is the expected OG. The IBU:SG is .59, so I think it's in the right range for a Saison.

Back