Wyeast 3463 Vs Het Anker yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remos112

Reaction score
Hello all I would like to tell you about an expirement I am about to do.
After reading this recipe:
http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/goulden_carolus_classic_-_040.pdf
There are rumours the 3463 strain is the same as the Gouden Carolus strain, and if you taste a bottle of Hoegaarden Verboden Vruchten next to a Gouden Carolus Classic this doesn't seem so far fetched very similiar beersm with subtle differences in spices though.

I decided to brew this with some small additions. I managed to get my hands on a smackpack of the Forbidden Fruits yeast which is rare these days and it is currently in a starter.
In my fridge is a finished starter of Het Anker gist (3d generation originally
harvested from Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor)

Next saterday I will brew my 21 liter batch and split it in fermenters, one with the 3463 and one with the Het Anker yeast.
Observations so far:
Both very fruity smelling yeast strains, the 3463 smells pungent for the lack of a better word though.

Will post back as it ferments along and when the product is finished.

Hi Remos,
How did the experiment go?
Do you know if Het Anker uses the same yeast for the Tripel and classic?

I have saved some yeast from the Tripel to hopefully grow and use in a small batch Tripel comparison with 3522.

3463 was a Q3 2021 release, so there's a fair chance you can find some kicking around retail websites at the moment.

Also Fermentum Mobile suggest their FM23 Magical Garden is ...cough...very similar to 3463, which may give you an alternative option if you're in Europe, the Malt Miller has had their yeasts in the past.

Back