Wyeast 3278 as primary yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleBrew

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first lambic this weekend using Wyeast 3278 (Lambic Blend). In your experience, which is the best way to go....using Wyeast 3278 as the primary yeast, or is it better to ferment with a standard ale yeast and then pitch the 3278 after a couple of weeks?

I know the Lambic Blend contains a Belgian ale strain so it makes sense to pitch it from the start, but I've seen several recipes recommending to add it after fermenting with a standard ale yeast. Any recommendations?

Just pitch the 3278, no starter. If no activity after 4 days, then pitch an additional yeast.

Pitch it. I've used one smack pack for 55 gallons and had great results. Give it a week to take off - this blend does take longer to get going.

Pitch it as is. Its what I use for my lambics as well as whatever dregs I have at the time.

I am attempting to make my first lambic and will be using this strain by itself as well. My question is, should I aerate the wort before pitching? Also, I read that lambics may benefit from additional O2 during fermentation. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back