wyeast 3068 fermentation temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty2

Reaction score
I have 2 full sized temperature controlled refrigerators(formerly for meat curing). Want to start brewing soon. In reading through EdWort's hefeweizen thread, I'm getting a feel for the fermentation temperature of this yeast. My question is, if you want to keep the fermentation temperature at say 64, what should the ambient temperature be? In other words, I understand the exothermic reaction inside the primary fermenter will be warmer than the actual interior of the refrigerated space. I'm wondering if I need to set the temperature controller to, say, 55-60 to achieve a true fermentation temperature of 64-67. Also, do I subsequently have to raise the temperature as the fermentation falls off?

Does your temp controller have a probe? If so, just tape the probe to the side of your fermenter and insulate it...that way you'll be controlling the beer temp, not the ambient.

If it doesn't have a probe, you should be good with ~60F ambient, then warm it up as activity slows, all the way up to 70F

Does your temp controller have a probe? If so, just tape the probe to the side of your fermenter and insulate it...that way you'll be controlling the beer temp, not the ambient.

If it doesn't have a probe, you should be good with ~60F ambient, then warm it up as activity slows, all the way up to 70F

Beat me to it, exactly!

TyTanium said:

Has a probe. I read to do that, just wasn't sure how accurate it is. I can do that, no problem, thanks.

Has a probe. I read to do that, just wasn't sure how accurate it is. I can do that, no problem, thanks.

I've checked the beer temp vs reading on the probe and they're usually very similar, +/- 1 degree, which is close enough for me.

TyTanium said:
I've checked the beer temp vs reading on the probe and they're usually very similar, +/- 1 degree, which is close enough for me.

Awesome, thanks again

Latest posts

Back