Wyeast 2124 (harvested 10/24/19)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Looking to brew a German Pils using the above that I harvested from a starter I made last year. According to Home Brew Dads calculator, I would need to do a 3 step starter, (2L each) since the viability is only 15%.
I don't have the time to do a 3 step starter and to be honest, don't really want to do that either.

With that said, for those who have used 8+ months old yeast, is there any way to achieve FG doing a single starter? The max I can do would be 2L?
If it's not recommended to do that, then only other option is to use dry yeast.

I don't want any fermentation issues or less than desirable end results so i would be ok just using dry yeast.

Nope

Lager yeast does seem to retain better viability than ale yeast when stored cold for longer.

A 3 step starter but each step is 2L? That doesn’t make sense. The steps should increase in volume or else you won’t get the correct amount of growth.

Not sure a 2L starter is big enough for any lager pitch rate regardless of viability to be honest. If you’re fermenting it warm maybe.

I’d use dry yeast or maybe augment a 2L starter with the dry yeast. You can’t over pitch a lager ferment. Most homebrewers underpitch significantly. I’ve found You’ll end up with a much faster ferment and a cleaner overall better beer with Pitch rates over 2m/ml/*plato. At least based on the online yeast calcs.

Nope

Lager yeast does seem to retain better viability than ale yeast when stored cold for longer.

A 3 step starter but each step is 2L? That doesn’t make sense. The steps should increase in volume or else you won’t get the correct amount of growth.

Not sure a 2L starter is big enough for any lager pitch rate regardless of viability to be honest. If you’re fermenting it warm maybe.

I’d use dry yeast or maybe augment a 2L starter with the dry yeast. You can’t over pitch a lager ferment. Most homebrewers underpitch significantly. I’ve found You’ll end up with a much faster ferment and a cleaner overall better beer with Pitch rates over 2m/ml/*plato. At least based on the online yeast calcs.
I thought about fermenting warm and under pressure. Gonna have to revisit the yeast starter calculator to make sure I read it right.
Either way I don't want to do a 3 step starter.
Main reason I don't brew lagers. Too much hassle for me.

Back