Wyeast 1450 (Denny's 50) or Wyeast 1187 (Ringwood)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A2HB

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Rye PA and was trying to decide which of these two I want to ferment with? I've not used either one, so looking for some feedback from more experienced brewers out there.

Recipe will most likely be about 63% 2 Row, 31% Rye malt, chinook, apollo, and possibly some citra hops.

I want the yeast to accentuate the rye spiciness and also flocculate reasonably well.

Thanks for any help

I have used Denny's before on a rye ipa and it was pretty good. I would recommend.

I was leaning towards the Dennys too, but I saw the Ringwood description and it sounded promising as well.

Just about to keg up a (hopefully red!) Rye PA with Columbus/Centennial that used WY1450 (Denny's).

Completely contrary to everything I've read about it, it started fast (I did make a starter 24hrs beforehand), finished in less than a week (73% ADF on 154F mash temp, 65F ferm temp), and dropped reasonably clear by 10 days--far clearer than I've ever seen US-05 drop in that timeframe.

Gravity samples give me the clearest, most "that is definitely rye" spiciness I've ever experienced in a beer, with just that little touch of "slickness" in the mouthfeel. This is with ~20% rye malt in a 1.056 OG grain bill.

I highly, highly recommend it for what you're doing.

Another vote for the Denny's Fav. I regularly make a rye IPA and have tried several differnt yeasts, but keep coming back to Denny's Fav. Seems that yeast is made for a rye IPA.

Why not split the batch and try both yeasts and decide which you like best?

I used to brew with Ringwood a lot, but many seem to shy away from it. The Ringwood yeast has a fast-attenuating yeast and a fast-flocculating yeast. However, it is sensitive to its environment, so proper control is a must. It does produce a very clear beer.

I ended up getting a pack of WLP 095 Burlington yeast instead of either of the two I was considering at first. The beer is about 4 hours fermenting and making a nice krausen already. Thanks for everyone's suggestions, the next time I make this recipe it's going to be with the Denny's 50, but I'm hoping the Conan works out on this batch for me.

I may be a bit biased, but I'd say 1450. ;)

Long before I ran across what would become 1450, I used Ringwood a few times, every time with terrible results. It requires a huge amount of initial O2, sometimes reinfusions of O2, and needs frequent rousing. The resulting beer was bready and fruity. Often underattenuated of I hadn't kept on top of rousing. Some people like that but not me.

I use 1450 in my Rye IPA and have won many competitions with it. I have used other yeasts with it (when my lhbs was out of Denny's) and it never turns out as well.

I only used Ringwood once, in a clone I did of DFH 60 min for a competition, and I was practically laughed at by my lhbs when I told them my plan. Ringwood is notorious for under attenuating and for producing a lot of diacetyl . I wanted to stay as true to a "clone" as possible so I stuck with Ringwood but really babied it (I closely monitored my temps, did and open fermentation and roused the yeast several times during fermentation)...the beer turned out amazing though and I ended up winning "better than the original" category!

1450 would be my choice 10 times out of 10 but Ringwood could also produce a tasty beer if you are willing to put in the extra effort.

I'm getting ready to brew a small test batch IPA within the week and I'm planning on using the Ringwood yeast b/c, well I'm just curious to see how it compares to other yeasts I used. I see people on this thread say Ringwood requires additional work, what does that mean exactly? :confused:

Thanks!

I may be a bit biased, but I'd say 1450. ;)

Long before I ran across what would become 1450, I used Ringwood a few times, every time with terrible results. It requires a huge amount of initial O2, sometimes reinfusions of O2, and needs frequent rousing. The resulting beer was bready and fruity. Often underattenuated of I hadn't kept on top of rousing. Some people like that but not me.

I have not used Ringwood. I have used 1450 and liked it a lot.

I used Denny's 50 because I was brewing Denny's Wry Smile Rye IPA. It is the suggested yeast and it seemed the right choice. :D

I have used it in something else also but I forget what it was. It is a great yeast.

I'm getting ready to brew a small test batch IPA within the week and I'm planning on using the Ringwood yeast b/c, well I'm just curious to see how it compares to other yeasts I used. I see people on this thread say Ringwood requires additional work, what does that mean exactly? :confused:

Thanks!

Lots of aeration, frequent rousing and good temp control. And a love of diacetyl...:)

Lots of aeration, frequent rousing and good temp control. And a love of diacetyl...:)

Thanks Denny for the info! Well I have an oxygen wand, so I'll give it a longer blast than other brews in the past. Since it will be a small batch in my 3 gallon carboy, I can easily give it a good swirl. My basement stays in the mid 60's (one good thing about Western NY), and when the carboy is on the floor the fermometer stays around 61 (for the last 3 brews). So I think temp control is covered.

Now, since fermentation stays around the low to mid 60's, would I still need to perform a "diacetyl rest"? If so, I would bring it upstairs and place it in a closet to warm it up some (24-48 hours) before bottling. Is that right? Thanks again Denny!

PS - I've been looking to try the 1450 yeast but it's always out when I go to my LHBS. But it's on my list!

I think you may want to run it a little warmer, but it's been so long since I've used it I can recall! As to a d rest, I always decide by tasting a sample that I take for a gravity reading. If I taste diacetyl, I do the rest. If not, I don't...it's just that easy!

I think you may want to run it a little warmer, but it's been so long since I've used it I can recall! As to a d rest, I always decide by tasting a sample that I take for a gravity reading. If I taste diacetyl, I do the rest. If not, I don't...it's just that easy!

Awesome, thanks Denny! I'll make sure I prop it off the concrete floor which should help raise the temp a little. Or possibly add a heating pad under the large tub the small conical sits in while fermenting. :cool:

I'm thinking about using 1450 in a stout this weekend. Either that or the 1968 slurry I have on hand. Based on comments here, I think I'll give 1450 a shot.

Back