Wyeast 1335 slow starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niv

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed my second brown ale. I made a starter yesterday out of American Ale yeast I had frozen but apparently it was frozen too long because it was doing nothing (I had good outcomes with the same frozen yeast before guess it was just too long gone). So, I had the girl go grab me a packet of 1335 from my LHBS while I was busy with my brewing duties. I obviously didn't have time to make a starter so I smacked it and waited about 3 hours and pitched. It was starting to swell so I am pretty sure the yeast was good but so far there is absolutely no activity. Does anyone with experience with this know if this is just a slow starter? It is still kind of early to be worried about it and I have another packet to pitch tomorrow if need be but I generally get some activity by this time.
So, basically has anyone used this yeast and able to verify that it is a slow starter?

Thanks,
Niv

P.S. I kind of think it is going because my ferment temp is quite high for the ambient temperature but I'm not sure. Just looking for opinions on this yeast.

I've used 1335 a lot. I wouldn't characterize it as a slow starter at all. Be patient, it's only been a day!

PS if your fermentation temperature is high, try to get it down. Your beer will be better for it! I use a large tupperware type tray, put the carboy in that and put some ice in.

how did this one turn out? I just used this yeast in an English Bitter, and I'm just starting to see some activity at 48 hrs, just wondering if the slow start effected the final product at all.

it turned out fine in the end. It ended up finishing probably at about .012. I can't remember exactly but I have never had a beer finish high yet. But yes it did take a while to see some activity.

That being said I still prefer British Ale II over all.

Latest posts

Back