Wyeast 1318 LA III Fermentation Question - No Control, Yet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LichtS

Reaction score
Currently about 40 hours since I pitched my first batch using Wyeast 1318. I do not have my fermentation control up and running yet - I am in the process.

I pitched it at 68* and that's where it has hovered since, currently at 69*. It's going super strong but I have read elsewhere that others are experiencing off flavors with it starting too high. Will this be the case with my batch? (I realize that's somewhat of a loaded question.)

I would cool it any way that is possible , wet towels if nothing else. I don't think you want this at 70 degrees. :mug:

I use this yeast all the time for IPAs and I have had 1318 ferment from 64-70.

I don't have temp control either but I've not had any noticeable off flavors in my beers (could possibly be covered by hops but I don't believe it should be a huge worry for you. I know a lot of people have it start around 66-68 and ramp it up to 70 by day 4 so, in my opinion its fine.

I use ice packs and frozen water bottles if you really need to get the temp down.

At day 4 or 5, 70 is fine but while it is running hard you could get some off flavors.:mug:

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I cannot believe how active this beer is. It smells like straight hops and fruit through the airlock.

Just put three ice packs around the bucket! I want this baby to ferment nicely, no banana flavors!

Latest posts

Back