Wyeast 1318: Boddingtons Strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiredofbuyingbeer

Reaction score
Is Wyeast 1318 really the Boddingtons strain? If so, why is it called London Ale III? Boddingtons is a Manchester brewery.

I advise a temporary cessation of hazy IPA production until we get to the bottom of this.

There's at least one place on the internet that says that it is, so it absolutely must be. ;)

I was told by a reputable source that 1318 originates from the Courage brewery of London. They used a few different strains at the time and would sell yeast to other breweries. Courage Anchor brewery closed in the early 1980's, but Boddington had brought yeast from them and had still been using the same strain. Supposedly when Wyeast marketed the yeast, they indicated its original source and not where it is currently used. Whether or not the yeast came from Courage or Boddies, I do not know.

Interestingly, the 1469 West Yorkshire strain also originates from Courage, supposedly.

Back