wyeast 1272

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No1ukno

Reaction score
So just brewed the bell 2h clone and was wondering where to ferment. My basement is running about sixty or so this time of year and upstairs is 68 steady where do u guys think the best bet would be.

Ideally I'd say you want to pitch your yeast into 60F wort and let it rise slowly up to about 65F, and then hold steady for 4-5 days, then let it rise up to the low 70s. Do you have any way to determine the wort temperature (e.g thermowell or stick-on thermometer)? You may want to start it in the basement then move it upstairs once it starts to slow down. Typically the internal fermentation temperature is going to be 5-15F above ambient.

For american ale yeasts with no desired ester profiles or fusels I start cool, ferment cool, finish warm and then cold crash. Approximately like this:
Day 0: 60F
Day 1-4F: 64F
Day 5: 65F
Day 6: 66F
Day 7: 67F
Day 8: 68F
Day 9: 69F
Day 10: 70F
Day 11: 71F
Day 12-24: 72F
Day 25-30: 32F

Easily done with a thermowell and temperature control, or a cold room and some sort of insulation.

Thanks for the quick reply that sound like a plan to me I do have a stick on therm but might as well not lmao I knew she would run warm just wasn't to sure because it was sixty during day in basement and was making me nervous if it got much lower ay night thanks for help.

Stick it in the basement for the first part of the fermentation, bring it upstairs for the last part.

My basement runs about 58 all winter and I usually just stick it down there and forget about it for a few weeks.

Just remember that you are looking to control the temperature of the wort. During the fermentation the temperature of the wort can rise 5-10 degrees. Look up swamp coolers. During the summer you will need additional cooling beyond moving the fermenter from the basement to upstairs for temperature control.

In the summer I move it to cellar in summer it doesn't get over 65. I have a keggerator fridge down stairs where I hope to just buy temp controller and just call er a day lol but been puttin my money into new ag equipt and my keezer.

Latest posts

Back